General liability insurance protects the policyholder in the event that a client trips falls or suffers an injury while on the policy holder's property; this coverage is also known as "slip and fall" insurance.
What is the difference between general and professional liability insurance?
When going through your insurance policy you'll see that there is both professional AND general liability insurance.
General liability protects against personal injury, bodily injury, or damage to others' personal property while in or on the policyholder's property.
Professional liability insurance offers coverage against claims of negligence, misconduct, or incompetence on the policyholder’s behalf; also called malpractice insurance.
Why is having general liability insurance important?
General liability is crucial to protecting both you and your practice from the potentially irreversible effects a claim can have both financially and on your reputation. According to the National Safety Council, the average cost of a trip-and-fall incident is $46,297 which includes legal fees and medical bills.
What are examples of claims that general liability insurance covers?
- Accidently leaving massage oil on the floor and a client slips and falls result in bodily injury.
- If you are providing a mobile massage and your equipment damages your clients' floor.
- The floors of your practice are slick due to inclement weather, on the way into your practice a client slips and falls result in injury.
Tips to avoid claims
To protect yourself and your business as a massage practitioner or consultant there are a few best practices to follow to avoid getting a claim filed against you:
- Create a Safe and Secure Environment: As a business owner, you are required to utilize adequate security for your place of business by making it safe and accessible. Installing locks, security lights, or video cameras can help ensure that you are up to code in this area. Additionally, you should always have liability insurance to protect you in the event a claim is made.
- Avoid Professional Liability Claims: While offering your services, it is essential to be aware of your patient's or client's background or medical needs. Knowing their history will help you avoid making any mistakes that could cause a claim to be filed against you. A key part of this also includes openly communicating with your client through intake forms, waivers, and pre-service information.
- Avoid General Liability Claims: These kinds of claims are generally known as "slip and fall" claims, where a customer of your business is injured in some way in or around your business. Various types of injuries or accidents can be filed under this claim, so make sure that your business environment is well kept by keeping floors clear of clutter and chords and keeping walkways safe by taking into account different weather elements.
General Liability Insurance Coverage with MMIP
We offer an affordable rate of $169.00 for unbeatable industry-preferred coverage that includes over $1,600 in member benefits. With each top-rated policy, you are protected up to 3 million dollars annually in the event of a general liability claim.