Massage Therapist Liability Insurance Coverage Details
For massage therapy insurance policyholders, the coverage can sometimes be a little confusing and overwhelming. There is a wide range of insurance-specific terms, cost details, benefits, and of course, the coverage itself. However, massage therapy insurance does not have to be confusing.
Here at Massage Magazine Insurance Plus, we are here to help walk you through the details and terms you need to know for your insurance policy for massage therapists. Here is all you need to know about massage therapy insurance policies.
What is Massage Therapy Liability Insurance?
Starting at the very beginning, massage therapy liability insurance offers protection in case a client or landlord files a liability claim against you or you experience a type of loss covered by the policy. A liability claim could also be called a liability lawsuit. There are several different types of liabilities for massage therapists that MMIP covers. Massage therapist insurance provides comprehensive coverage that keeps you completely covered in case something unforeseen happens.
Essentially, massage therapist insurance protects you from having to pay out of pocket to cover the costs of an accident or other loss. Massage therapy insurance gives you peace of mind knowing that you are financially covered for the future.
Liabilities for Massage Therapists
- Professional Liability: Professional liabilities are those that are directly related to your work as a massage therapist. This includes injuries, burns, scratches, muscular discomfort, and other ailments that could occur while you are performing a massage session. For example, you are giving a deep tissue massage to a client. The client neglected to inform you that they have osteoporosis, and their bones are fairly brittle. Unfortunately, you press in deep on their hip, and their fragile bone cracks under the pressure. The above would be an example of professional liability because it was a direct result of your massage work. This could potentially result in a liability claim.
- General Liability: General liabilities are those that are not specific to your occupation. Common general liability claims may include injuries resulting from slips, trips, and falls. These are among the most frequent forms of liability claims. An example of a possible general liability claim would be a client tripping on the doormat on the way into your building and injuring themselves. Because this is not related to your massage therapy, it would qualify as general liability.
- Product Liability: As a massage therapist, you likely use a variety of oils, aromatherapies, and other wellness-related products. These are what are known as product liabilities because of the potential for an adverse reaction to their properties. For example, you are using an aromatherapy essential oil in your massage room when a client starts complaining that they are having difficulty breathing. Unbeknownst to your client, they are allergic to one of the oils in the aromatherapy and are having a bad reaction. In this example, your client could potentially file a product liability claim against you for instigating the reaction to your product.
Details of Coverage for Massage Therapist Liability Insurance
The coverage offered by MMIP is occurrence form protection, which means that you are covered for incidents that take place while the policy is in effect. This type of insurance coverage protects you even if the claim is filed after the policy is no longer active. Occurrence form insurance is opposed to claim-based insurance, which only covers you if the claim is filed during the term of your insurance policy.
- Professional, general, and product liability coverage: In addition to occurrence form protection, massage therapy insurance from MMIP offers incredible coverage per individual claim. For both professional and general liability claims, MMIP will pay up to $2 million per occurrence with a total annual aggregate of $3 million. The same is true for product liability claims.
- Rental property damages: If you rent the space you practice massage in, you could be held liable for the cost of any damages caused by an incident. For this type of circumstance, MMIP offers protection for up to $100,000 to help cover the cost of repairs.
- Stolen and damaged equipment protection: The equipment you use every day in your massage is vital to your successful practice in touch therapies. If your equipment is stolen or damaged, your massage therapist insurance from MMIP can help cover the cost of a repair or replacement. We offer up to $1,000 for stolen or damaged equipment with a low $250 deductible.
- Identity theft protection: With the landscape of advertising and business operations rapidly evolving, it is likely that you rely on digital offerings for your massage services. While this presents an excellent opportunity for growth and acquiring new clients, it also can make you vulnerable to hackers and cyber thieves. That’s why we include coverage for identity theft protection with our massage therapy insurance policies.
Bonus Alert: Benefits Incoming
While the coverage is fantastic on its own, the benefits genuinely make it that much sweeter. The benefits for our massage therapist liability insurance policyholders are designed to be tailor-made for massage therapists. The perks and bonus incentives are like the icing on the cake when it comes to insurance.
Just a few of the many member-exclusive benefits you can use from day one include:
- Free continuing education: Depending on your state requirements, it is possible that you have required continuing education units (CEUs) to maintain your practice. We’ve partnered with world-renowned PANDA Massage CEU to give you access to their incredible library of educational resources. This will help you keep up with your state-required education and be the best masseuse possible.
- Access to affordable health insurance plans: You take good care of your clients, be sure that you take good care of yourself as well. With access to several different health insurance plans, you can ensure that you get the healthcare and medical attention you need if you get sick or have an injury.
- 20% off HealthyLine products: Get discounts on some of the products you will use every day in your work as a massage therapist. HealthyLine products include items like naturally heated gemstone therapy mats, heated knee pads, and more.
- Other spectacular discounts: You deserve to be pampered a good bit and enjoy exclusive discounts on a wide variety of other products and services. With discounts to businesses that make life easier for you, it will feel like you are being showered with perks and benefits.
Cost of Massage Liability Insurance Coverage
Massage therapist insurance from MMIP is some of the most affordable comprehensive coverage around. We offer several payment options to get the perfect plan that meets your needs and covers you adequately. By getting the right plan, you can ensure that you are well taken care of in the event of a liability claim or lawsuit.
Coverage options include:
- 12 months of coverage for full-time massage therapists: If you work full-time as a massage therapist, you can get 12 months of coverage for $169. You have the option to pay all at once or in monthly installments. This option is great if you are looking for a shorter term of coverage or may have a change in coverage needs in the future.
- 24 months of coverage: Also for full-time massage workers, you have the option to purchase 24 months of massage therapist insurance for $298. This coverage option is perfect for self-employed massage therapists or long-term planners. You will receive the same great coverage and benefits and can either pay in a lump sum or in monthly payments over 12 months.
- 12 months of coverage for students: Even if you are still on your way to becoming a massage therapist, you still need massage therapist insurance in case something happens. With a student rate of just $40 for the first year of coverage, you can get access to the remarkable coverage and stellar benefits that MMIP offers to its full-time policyholders. This means that you get all the same benefits and perks at an outstanding discount while you learn more about the massage arts.
- 12 months of coverage for part-time massage therapists: Perhaps you work only part of the time in touch therapies. We have a plan option that is ideal for part-timers. For just $149, you receive the same comprehensive coverage as the full-time workers and have instant access to the many benefits of membership. You still have complete protection from a liability claim and peace of mind of the full-time policy.
Liability Coverage Starts Right Away
With the super simple process, your coverage begins as soon as you finish signing up for massage therapist insurance. You can start using your incredible benefits in just minutes. In less time than it takes to heat up stones for a hot stone massage, you can have the peace of mind of total coverage for the widest range of modalities in massage insurance today.